Saturday, March 12, 2011

Oh, hey, by the way, I wrote a book.

So, by now, if you are on my email list or one of my friends on facebook, you have begun to receive a barrage of well intended notes, pages and messages (oh my) about my fabulous new book called Finding My Status. Well, my first book. But it is new, so we can call it a new book. Of course that may be confusing for some who think I may have written anything else before this, so I guess we can call it my first new book or my new first book. Or hey, just, um…my book. Yep.

Anyway…


So, Finding My Status is a memoir about the first year after I left my husband, attended graduate school at USC, student taught, started dating again, lost a ton of weight, and all the while being a hopefully good mother to my children. And just to be quirky, it is written solely in facebook status updates. Weird but fun. Silly but poignant. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll like it better than Cats.

My facebook friends seemed to enjoy my status updates and even a few of them suggested I write them down. It was amazing to me that anyone was actually reading them. Or for that matter, that anyone is actually reading my blog but it turns out that several of you are, including people in Malaysia, France and Russia. I cannot even fathom how my humor would translate into Russian, French or Bahasa Malaysia (I googled that answer), but would love to know if it does. Of course with all of my spelling errors, I doubt the true translations are possible. I mean, do they have the “i before e rule” in Russian? Or does the word “snarky” even translate into French? Hmmm…

It was funny to me that people were following along on my updates. I would run into people and they would ask me how Lenny Fuzzbottom, the guinea pig was (may he rest in peace) or if Henry the cat had murdered any rodents lately. They wondered how school was for Max and Dash as well as for me. Sometimes they would reference something I had written and I would stand there with a quizzical expression on my face wondering how they knew this about me. It was like I had my very own reality show without the embarrassing, well, embarrassing idea of being on a reality show.

So, I did what any single mother with absolutely no free time would do. Wrote them all down, added a few more and made a memoir out of it. Sure, why not? It was actually kind of cool to watch it turn into a story. The story of this remarkable, fabulous, tumultuous, overwhelming, crazy, exhausting year. I got to record that year in this wacky way and then share it. I like sharing. Whether it is status updates or cookies or recipes for cookies, I do like sharing. I like how my kids share toys with their friends. Well, begrudgingly, but it happens. Occasionally. Okay, I bribe them with cookies from all of those great recipes that were shared, but ya know, whatever works.

A friend of mine owns this really cool self-publishing company called publishgreen.com. A wonderful and extremely helpful staff and you can get your work published as an eBook; totally environmentally friendly! Although I can’t autograph a book for you. I mean, I could come to your house and autograph your computer or you could drop your IPhone off and I could write on it really, really small with a sharpie, if you would like. Like in pink or I could let you pick the color. Hmmm... Maybe I should make stickers…

Anyway, because this is a book written in facebook status updates, it just made sense to do it this way. Seeing the status updates line by line on your computer the way god and Mark Zuckerberg intended it.

So, there it is. For just $5.99 you can buy me and my book. Wait, I meant just my book. I am way more expensive.

Here are all of the links and you don’t need a Kindle, Sony Reader or Nook because if you don’t have one, you can just download it right to your computer, phone or IPod. Pretty cool huh?

I could just autograph your hand, but it might come off when you wash your hands. It is cold and flu season. Hmmm…maybe stickers would be better.


LINKS:

Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Finding-My-Status-Memoir-ebook/dp/B004PGO34Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=books&qid=1299868332&sr=8-1
Nook: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Finding-My-Status-A-Memoir/Allison-Levine/e/2940012229830/?itm=1&USRI=finding+my+status
IPod, IPad and IPhone: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/finding-my-status/id422956343?ls=1
All other downloads: http://www.ebooks.com/ebooks/book_display.asp?IID=669024

2 comments:

  1. Jon Dax thinks you are still beautiful and, as gleaned from our conversation last year, still funny/oh so benevolent.
    Something must happen to the lens/cornea when men move to Cal otherwise this memoir would not be.
    I am very much looking forward to reading it (do you know anyone who could loan me $5.99?). I did convert to some kind of religion so I hope the cougar parts aren't too salacious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anonymous: you need to be less anonymous.

    ReplyDelete