Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Gosling Thanksgiving



First off, may I just say, Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and hope the Native American people of this country don’t hate the white people too much today.  I have been trying to gently explain the actual history of Thanksgiving to Max and how sometimes the Pilgrims weren’t very nice to the people already living here and how Columbus didn’t “discover” anything.  That one cannot discover a place that already has people living in it.  That would be like me saying that I discovered Starbucks or Loehmans.  He smiled and nodded but walked back to the kitchen to finish decorating cookies.  I am on my mini-vacation so should stop trying to have these little “teachable moments”.  It must suck sometimes to be a teacher’s kid.


My kids are just happy we are decorating Thanksgiving cookies so the civics lesson will have to wait, I guess.  They are having a blast decorating the cookies.  Ya know, traditional Thanksgiving cookie shapes:  Turkeys, maple leaves and dolphins.  Yep.  Nothing says Thanksgiving quite like aquatic mammals.  I actually made blue icing for them.  The boys have decided the turkeys should be rainbow colored.  Because of that request, my hands are now rainbow colored as well.  My thumbs are a lovely shade of pink.  But I love cooking on Thanksgiving, so I’m not complaining.  I love making everything from scratch.  I love roasting pumpkins for my pumpkin pie just so I can say that I roasted pumpkins for my pumpkin pie.  I am actually only making two desserts this year which was a difficult decision to concede to but there will be only nine people at my house this year and I know my boys will only be eating the blue dolphin cookies.  They probably won’t even touch the pretty maple leaves, iced in a lovely shade of light orange.  Which is also the color of my pinkie. 

I do love Thanksgiving for the idea of taking a little time out to be grateful for all of the stuff you have in your life.  That and taking time out for binge eating an entire meal made with butter.  I try diligently to not invite vegans.  Tofurkey scares me and seriously, vegans just don’t appreciate the butter component.  Or the turkey component for that matter.  It’s not like I eat like this every day, seriously, I would gain all of the weight back and I threw away all of my fat clothes so that cannot happen.  So, yes, grateful for butter and people who love butter.  But grateful for lots of other stuff too.  Grateful my parents are here at my house which means I didn’t have to fly home to Minneapolis on the busiest travel weekend of the year.  Super duper grateful for that. 

But instead of telling you all of the things I am grateful for, I took a poll this year at school and asked my students what they were grateful for.  I got a lot of answers of family and friends; video games and new phones.  I did get one kid who said he was grateful to have me as his English teacher but I am guessing he was just sucking up to get a good grade in my class.  Some kids said they were grateful for their lawyers and some said they were grateful just to be out of school for the week.  Two of my kids said they were grateful to have a home after being homeless.  That one made me think and be grateful that the universe seemed to be looking out for them.   Homeless kids and along with the few who mentioned their lawyers; seriously grateful.  I knew a few were for parents and a few for themselves.  Those are the ones that make my job hard to do without wanting to adopt them.  Good kids.  Most of them.

With all of the heartfelt grateful lists, I did appreciate the girls who said they were grateful for Hello Kitty, Elf cosmetics and Ryan Gosling.  I mean, who isn’t grateful for Ryan Gosling?  I liked how none of them hesitated on what they were grateful for.  I liked how all them smiled when they said what they were grateful for.  Not a bad poll. 

Before bed last night, I asked my boys what they were grateful for.  I was second on Dash’s list, right under racecars.  Max was grateful for my love.  Man, I love when he says that.  There is nothing more validating than a sincere eight year old. 

Okay, back to my turkey and my stuffing and my marshmallow ensconced sweet potatoes and my caramelized brussel sprouts and of course, my blue dolphin Thanksgiving cookies.  I am totally grateful my children have this wonderful sense of humor that incorporates marine life into the festivities.  Well, let’s face it; I am just grateful for them.  My life would be so boring without them.  I am also grateful for my friends and my family, the Gone with the Wind marathon on AMC, and having a great home filled with love and warmth and Hello Kitty.  And if it were filled with Ryan Gosling…

Oh, and by the way, I am grateful for the people who read this blog.  All of you.  Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment