Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother is NOT half of a word

Ah, Mother’s Day. The one day a year where your children must stand up and say, “Mom, you are awesome and although I do not say it nearly enough, I appreciate all that you do.” It’s a federally mandated compliment, but is still nice to hear. You know they mean it too. When you have little kids, they don’t know how to be sarcastic yet. Although my children are already well versed in sarcasm but they are advanced and well, they are my children. The other day Max looked at Dash and said, “No Dash, you can totally play with my DS because you won’t break it.” And then he added, “That, my dear brother was sarcasm.” Dash had an odd expression on his face like someone had just taken his cookie away. But then he nodded with complete and total understanding and went back to chasing the cat. I like that my children are sarcastic. Seriously, it makes my role as their mother much easier. Soon I will teach them irony.

Mother’s Day is a day when we reflect upon our past year and think, “Dear god, did I really do all THAT?!?!” Then you realize that yes, indeed you did. You took off work when they were sick, you were puked on, peed on, pooped on and held on to really tightly when they were scared that Transformers were real. You gave up your bed, your space, your dinner, your free time. You went to play dates and birthday parties and caught children falling out of bounce houses. You made cupcakes, you made doctor appointments, and you made mistakes. You cried when they were hurt, you yelled when they didn’t listen, you smiled when they looked at you as only your own child could. You were hugged and kissed and kicked. You gave time outs, to both them and yourself. You helped with homework, you tried to do their math, and you prayed you were doing it right. You tried to keep them safe, keep them clean, and keep them in the backyard away from traffic. You fought for them, with them, on behalf of them and you, my dear mothers, have had a full year. And let’s face it; you wouldn’t have changed a thing.

Mother’s Day is also a chance to thank your own mother. To look at all of the things she did and still does for you. To compare your mothering styles and know that although she was not perfect she was the best role model you ever had. I was and still am lucky to have my mom. My mother, Ruth, taught me most things in life. The important stuff, not just how to sniff out a sale on shoes or how to apply lip liner without looking, but how to be there for your children no matter what age you or they are. She has never given me an expiration date for advice giving or getting. I will always be my mother’s baby and I am thankful for that. The other day when I was sick and cranky I think I actually called her “mommy”. She has taught me how to put yourself second to those you love but not lose yourself in them. She taught me how to cook matzo balls better than anyone, brisket better than anyone and do it all without even breaking a nail.

She gave my sister and me a true childhood filled with love, laughter, emotion and fun. She showed us what true love was and is (well, my dad showed us that too but his Father’s Day tribute will be in June) how to be a true friend, a true beauty and a true mother. She is honest but in a good way, she makes us crazy but in a good way and well, she hasn’t stopped being there for me, and that is in the best way.

And she is a damn good grammy too.

So, to all of my mommy-friends, be you on your own, married happily or somewhere in between; for all you do for your children, families and friends, have a happy and wonderful Mother’s Day.

1 comment: