Sunday, October 9, 2011

My ass is 44 today and yet my car is brand new


So…yep, I’m forty-four today. (wooo-saaaahhhh) It’s fine. I’m fine. I mean, my forties have been the best part of my life and except for the peri-menopausal crap and the little lines on my face that I am really, really starting to notice, I’m good. No, really. I figure I have made it to another year so apparently I am doing something right. No matter how much I bitch about aging the alternative would kinda suck.

A friend of mine does a grateful list everyday and my kids and I have started doing one at dinner each night. I love when Max looks at me and tells me that not only is he grateful for my love but he is grateful for school as well. Seriously, who is this kid I created? Dash is usually grateful for French fries and Ninjas. But, hey, who isn’t? Along with all of the big things I am grateful for, ya know, my kids, my whole family (Mom, Dad, Elyse, Ron, Brandon, Justin and Ethan), and my shoes; I have a few more for today: I am not sick this week, my kids are not sick this week, I am done grading the 9th grade essays, I have a job, and there is a Loehman’s birthday discount with my name on it. And now the whole car thing is done with too. Oh, wait, I should back up and explain that one. Hmmm…I think I will back waaaaay up and tell you the whole story. And you have to read it, cuz it’s my birthday so you have to be nice to me. And bring me cake too.

About six years ago, when I was still married, my husband at the time (which makes is sound like I have had more than one, but nope, just the one. That was enough.) told me we were going to buy a mini-van from his boss. And yes, he told me and did not ask me, but that is for another blog at another time. If memory serves, I believe my response had some profanity in it. I also said that if I had to drive a mini-van I was going to paint it camouflage so no one would see me drive it or I was going to put big red flames on it for the sarcastic irony of the situation. And then...I owned a mini-van. Max wanted to name her Mini. I have always named everything and it apparently has rubbed off on my children. For example, Max’s favorite sweatshirt is named Fluffy. His second favorite sweatshirt is named Fluffy, Jr.

And yes…everything I have has a name.

Back to our story. Mini was big and gun metal grey and just… a freakin mini-van. Not a happy mommy. Sure it had more room than my first apartment and I could pack up all of my groceries from Trader Joes without breaking any eggs, but damn it was ugly and so…mom-like. Yuck. So, I did what any normal human being would do: I went on-line, ordered enormous red flames and put them on the doors. This made me absolutely fine driving the mini-van. It also pissed off my x-husband, which was just a perk.

The flames made it cool or rather silly and fun, but over the next six months a few things happened because my x-husband didn’t have it inspected because he had bought it from his boss. Yep, you know what’s coming. First the tires needed to be replaced, then the carburetor needed to be replaced, then the breaks went out and then the engine over-heated and caught on fire. Seriously. I was driving home and it started smoking, I pulled over popped the hood and flames shot out. Yes, now I had flames on the outside as well as the inside. I see the humor. I didn’t see it THEN but I do see it now. Luckily, because the universe sometimes seems to like me, some random stranger pulled up besides my burning car, whipped out a fire extinguisher and put out the fire. Angels in Los Angeles. Gotta love it.

Over the next six years I have put a ton of money into this stupid car. However, two weeks ago, Mini over heated and I had to replace the entire radiator and spent another $475. Then nine days after that, I had to replace the relay fans. I still have no idea what the hell they were but they cost $350. Then three days after that, she over heated yet again. The idea of making the inside of the car worth more than the whole car itself just made me cry. Remember, I am a teacher with crappy credit so it’s not like I could just run out and buy myself a car. However, I have really nice parents who love their grandchildren and seem to be aware of my fear of Los Angeles public transportation. So I drove over to the Nissan dealership by my school (she over heated one last time but I made it there) and with my dad on my cell phone, found the most inexpensive car I could find. A black Nissan Versa. It’s a 2012. I am driving a 2012 in 2011. This messes with my head. Oh, and I named him Tito. If you saw him, you would say, “Yep, he totally looks like a Tito.” No, really.

Oh, by the way, I told the Downtown Nissan guys I would mentioned them here because as sales people go, they were really great. They even gave me a teacher discount.

Tito is all sparkly with no scratches or dings and doesn’t smell like cheerios and apple juice and I have threatened my children with the destruction of Pokémon if they eat anything in the car. Hmmm…going to need flames. Small flames. Just on the back so I can pick out my car in the Whole Foods parking lot. Yesterday I noticed there are a myriad of small black cars in the Whole Foods parking lot. I need to differentiate. Yep, flames probably won’t help me find Tito, but it will make me giggle each time I see them. Always remember, if the mommy is happy the whole world is happy.

The funny thing about selling Mini is it affected me more than I thought it would. I was sitting and waiting for Tito to be polished and gassed up and I had cleaned out Mini (man, was that a gross experience) and I sat there and starred at her thinking that for a car I never wanted, I was sure going to miss her. She has been in so many blogs and status updates. I will really miss pulling up to a red light, next to some hot muscle car and the reaction was always a smile from the driver next to me. Dates always thought my flaming mini-van was a euphemism and would be actually surprised when they saw my car. The phrase, “You really do have flames on your mini-van” was always said with a sense of awe. Even Hollywood tour buses (the big double-decker ones) would point and stare and take pictures of her. I drove my kids to their first day of kindergarten in her. I packed my whole life into her and she was literally the vehicle that drove me into my new life.

But now I have a car that when you roll the windows down they actually roll back up again. The air-conditioner works and it doesn’t make that high pitched whining sound when I turn the wheel. It doesn’t go “clunky-clunk-clunk” when I start up the engine and there is not one ZBar wrapper or Lego on the floor. He’s pretty and I am one happy mommy. Even if I am forty-four today. Oh crap, I am forty-four today…

Wooo-saaaahhhh. Okay, on to the future. There is a Loehman’s birthday discount with my name on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment